Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The family road trip

Every once in a while we get seized with an inspiration to take that "feel good" road trip. And that's exactly what happened during this long weekend. While everyone around us were perhaps planning to stuff themselves with turkey we decided to be gluttons for punishment and get on the road with a bawling little creature in tow.

Trips also mean a lot of packing. Given my obsessive nature I take a lot of pains in making them perfect. I always plan ahead and pack to face any eventual emergency (the car can break down,we might drive our way into neverland even get kidnapped by aliens and the likes,very valid,legitimate fears) and it drives people nuts. And as I did it took me a trip down memory lane.

Flash back to the year 2005 when packing for a trip was a piece of cake. My list then consisted of

1.Right outfits to take:
Day dress
Dress for fancy dinner or club outing
Fashionable 'tourist' wear when sight seeing
Poolside/beach wear
Accessories (totally necessary)
Comfortable fashionable jeans (ah,don't we all need them)
All color coordinated and neatly arranged in a fancy suitcase.

2.Obsessed about those matching sandles- A pair for every "Special" dress. Both for the day and for the night ofcourse and those "Sexy" dainty ones proven to leave a trail of drool and green eyes behind are a must .
(the trips always caused mysterious growth spurts in the already good pile of shoes everytime I planned though. Quite spooky indeed)

3. Lotions and essentials (Ahem..which consisted of let's say 10-15 assorted items )- Packed smartly in a cool tote .

4. Hair care equipment (brushes, comb, blow dryer)- Frizzy hair like mine requires herculean efforts to be tamed. I can give Chewbacca a run for the money if confronted on my really "bad" hair day.

5. Books- to enjoy relaxing on the plane or lying sprawled soaking up the sun on the beach.

6.Music-Ipod and cds loaded with my favorite and updated tunes.

7. Hit the gym a lot more religiously so you can be right in shape to flaunt on the beach.

Oh,the joys!!

Cut to present. I still obsessively pack albeit with few changes

1. Outfits- Anything that's clean or atleast gives an impression of being clean (read as stain free from any bodily discharges) and doesn't make me look fat and literally fits the bill.

2. Matching sandals- Huh?what's that? most of the times it's anything that fits and can sustain numerous walks in the park, grocery stores,playgrounds and running behind a energetic little body(Nike's,flipflops all inclusive). Throw in a couple of those good old fellas in the backpack and you are good to go.

3. Essentials- Now consist of lip gloss or a lipstick. Mostly either you are running out of time or energy(?) to go through the whole shebang .

4. Books- Yep they now prop me up when I try to catch a quick snooze wherever I can lie down for a few minutes.

5. Music- What?you want to put on the blaring music while driving and wake up the toddler and shatter those few placid moments of nirvana we find??are you nuts or a masochist?

6. Hair care- Anything that atleast can make my hair not look like a bird's nest caught in a hurricane. Chewbacca is a new found friend. As for the straighteners?curlers?dryers? yes if you can remember to pack them and most of all if you can remember where you last spotted them before the toddler attacked them into oblivion.

7. Gym and flaunting in the beachwear- *laughs uncontrollably like a maniac*

Gasp!I seriously can use some help dealing with this frumpy side of mine,I was supposed to be one of those ultra cool moms when I decided to don the maternal mantel. *Sniff,sniff *

Anyway we did take that trip this weekend. We ended up facing a endless nerve wracking traffic which delayed us by 2 hours,the lanes we changed everytime thinking it would move faster always seemed to move the slowest,there was a bit of swearing heard from the driver seat (yours truly )everytime a novice driver or one of those soccer moms or dads used to cut us off without signals, a little person at the back constantly reminded us of her sound presence,quick bathroom stopovers,quite a few temper tantrums and armed with loads of coffee finally we reached the destination. We took in the beautiful Algonquin park showcasing the fall in all its splendor . We thought of taking the boat ride and trail walk through the woods after shelling out 30$ for a measly coffee and wraps and heaving a sigh of relief . Life just couldn't get better,anymore things cannot really go wrong could they?and then it rained!

*The rain made the woods even more beautiful and it took a toddler's delightful clap to get us out of our cynical selves and appreciate it* Ah, The joys of parenthood comes also with lessons.

19 comments:

The Future Was Yesterday said...

I sure hope you'll excuse me for laughing insanely as I read your post, for if not, I'm in a lot of trouble!:) Background: my "Toddlers" are soon to have toddlers of their own. Ah....the sweet, sweet nectar of revenge!

"was supposed to be one of those ultra cool moms when I decided to don the maternal mantel. "
That started the laughter. One day, my Dad and Mom were visiting, my kids were on their worst behavior (of course!) Mom and Dad were telling me "Do this! Do that! Do it this way! and I was getting more pissed by the second. Finally, I looked at Dad and said, "You know Dad, these damn things didn't come with an owners manual! They got quite the laugh out of it.

Welcome to the wonderful, wacky world of being that unappreciated, over worked and under paid species called "A Parent!" Enjoy it while you can, crazy as that sounds. You and your Husband are going to be sitting in a church somewhere listening to "I Do" so fast, you will not believe it!

"The joys of parenthood comes also with lessons."
:)
Your toddler is in good hands.:)

Sunita said...

Is this Connecticut? Beautiful colors. Pleasant weather.

Rohini said...

So what do you pack for the possible alien emergency scenario ;-)

Maggie said...

Ah those days when I had matching sandals for each outfit I packed. Now, it's just the floaters on my feet.

Btw, c ome and get your award that I've given you.

Lavs said...

The photos look so beautiful. How I wish Indian climate has fall season. Chennai climate is only hot, hotter and hottest!!! Road trips here only leave you battered. Glad you had a refreshing trip!

fursat said...

Don't worry Fuzzy, you are still the coolest, hippest Mom :D

The trip looks really good and the fall colors are amazing. I love looking at the changing colors of trees out here. I also took a trip this weekend and will post the details and pictures later in the week.

Happy Belated Thanksgiving !!

Gauri said...

LOL !! Your sense of humor rocks Fuzzy :-)
*The rain made the woods even more beautiful and it took a toddler's delightful clap to get us out of our cynical selves and appreciate it*
How very true and how beautifully and aptly expressed.
I do totally echo "the future was yesterday" in saying that your toddler is indeed in very good hands.

~nm said...

Ooooh..I just loved the pictures!!

Parul said...

Great post...I have taken a couple of trips with my infant lately and boy, am I sore!! Keep writing :)

Usha said...

I know it takes a different kind of preparation and attitude to venture ona trip with a toddler. But Ina seems to enjoy it already. Lovely pictures.

rayshma said...

u ARE an ultra-cool mom, fuzz... ask ina! :)
the pics are bootiiifuulll!!! am sure u had a whale of a time... despite all the -ves! :)
btw, i too fret over allien abductions while going on road trips...

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures.
You have once again described my life...now my packing list is somethink like :
wardrobe: lots of extra toddler clothes for emergencies
essentials: diapers/medicines
books: dora/elmo
music: nursery rhymes

and so on!

By Deepa and Supriya said...

what a good read!..no seriously the content, the language, the humor, the reality..couldn't have put it better..way to go fuzz..looks like y'all had fun!

Sukhaloka said...

Hola Rockin' Girl! (now go display the award! :nudge nudge:)

Love the post! Cracked me up completely, especially the contrast of the packing styles. I wonder what I, with my jeans/3 Tshirts etc/one salwar suit/shoes/body lotion/glasses style of travelling will do once I have a baby! Probably just carry the clothes on my back and a toothbrush, lol!

Seriously gal, love your blog! More Ina updates sometime, please?

Itchingtowrite said...

awarded

Swati said...

Pics look lovely :)

Artnavy said...

i still think u r really cool- and i loved the previous post

starry said...

Beautiful pics and u made me laugh.can totally relate to this post.Ina is so cute.

Fuzzylogic said...

TFWS-LOL!grandparents always have the last laugh and I'm sure your grandkids adore you.My mom keeps throwing the same revenge bit at me too saying she hopes Ina gets out every bit of the trouble I gave her with interest:)You are so right about how we ought to cherish these moments as in no time they would be just memories.
You always brighten my day with your comment. Thanks for that:)

Sunita- Nopes,not Connecticut. This is a park at Ontario,Canada. The fall indeed brings out the best of the colors!

Rohini- Surely I have to start that with packing my Spaceman Spiff outfit and Captain Underpants outfit for the rest of the crew;)

Moppet's mom- You are so not alone in that MM,you have me for company:)take heart twin!

Ricky- Aww..thanks:)now that comment just made my day!and yes,it's wonderful to see the way colors change during fall. Where did you go?I will wait for the pics and details in your next post.
With your passion for photography I'm sure you would have got pretty good ones to share.

Gauri- Thank you so much Gauri,coming from you I value them a lot more:)

Raysh- I know,alien abduction can happen anytime. Did you get your Spaceman Spiff costume yet?;)We did have a great time during the trip. The negatives made a 180 degree turn soon enough:)

NM- I'm glad you enjoyed them

Parul- Welcome here!and boy don't talk of soreness..these little ones are tiny but they can suck away your energy before you can blink don't they:)they are made so cute so they can get away with that!

Usha- Thanks. The place was indeed beautiful and we did have fun.

Lavs- I think most of places in India are that way ranging between hot,hotter and hottest. I shudder to think of taking road trips in India especially during those hot summers! Regarding the seasons though I think maybe at those north Indian hill stations like in Simla and Darjeeling we might be able to see the 4 seasons and the varying colors. I always wanted to go there but never did:(Ask Param to take you there:)

Naina ashley- LOL!ofcourse thats the additional MORE important baggage to be packed. Can we dare leave without the party of Dora and Elmo? Here even though she is still little she insists on taking Dora book with her:)

Orchi- Thanks:)The trip indeed a lot of fun!Are you planning any trip to see the fall colors there?

Suki- Flaunt it I will!you just watch out for the next post:)
Enjoy all the packing and shopping experiences now,you are way too young to be worrying about the after stuff:)But I'm sure when you reach that stage you will do much better than us:)Regarding Ina updates I know that little girl has been so lazy in posting her updates,got to poke her and get her near the comp. I promise I will:)and thanks for such sweet words!

ITW- Thank you!!!!

Swati- I'm glad you liked them swati!

artnavy- Thanks and double thanks:)

Starry- Thanks starry!