A hand that rocks the cradle
A 34 year old mother threw herself and her 2 1/2 year old son over a passing bridge onto the fast coming traffic lane of 401,she died on the spot and her son died while being transported to the hospital.She left no suicide note,she told no one,she didn't stop even after being persuaded by a passerby who stopped his car and pleaded.She hugged her son to her bosom and jumped.When I read the news I went through a gamut of emotions.Anger at what had befallen a young innocent child and perhaps sympathy at what really might have provoked a mother to take such a drastic step.I'm a mom myself and I could not even for a second think of ever harming my child so it baffled me out of my wits.She was said to have been under lot of stress and depression and having separated from the boy's father.
On the day she performed the ghastly act she was said to have appeared calm,collected,tragically determined and fetched the boy from his father's house,boarded a bus to the set destined place and performed the final act.There was no indication whatsoever of any bitterness about the separation,nor was there any domestic abuse,she had lived in a shelter for somedays but then moved back with her family.What drastic moment would have made her decide it was all enough not only for her but even for her son?What made her decide this was the best for her as well as her child who hadn't even begun to discover what life had to offer?I can understand that at times people are driven to brink of desperation and entertain suicidal thoughts.And some go through with it on a impulse of the moment and others might have premeditated on it and resort to it after exhausting all other avenues.But that doesn't make any suicide less tragic.
I don't know what would have pushed her to literally over the edge and to take such a momentous decision regarding her child's life.She was described by all her family members including the father of the diseased boy as a wonderful mother who loved her son more than her life.She was under
depression but had no history of any psychosis.Did she feel that kid would not be loved or cherished after she was gone and hence his life would be miserable so the best way was to take him with her?Perhaps no one can answer these questions as to what made her do the thing she did.But for a moment I though of that child.The bond between the mother and her child is said to be the most sacred bond.It's a bond which is formed on unquestionable trust and abundant love.Maybe the said day the boy would have happily held his mom's hand and stepped into that bus,this was his mom a person he trusted more than anyone who would never harm him.Would he have been frightened when his mom took him over those rails of the bridge or did he even grasp the concept that he would be falling down into the zooming traffic lane in the next few seconds?I felt for the little guy.
This wasn't the first time I had heard of mothers who can kill.But everytime I'm confronted to face the fact that such things happen I feel sick in my stomach and feel ill.Can love kill?apparently it can.When I was in my high school one of the lady in the neighbourhood killed herself as well as her 2 kids by consuming poison.She had left a note saying she had no money to feed them,her husband had left
her and seeing no means to continue a living she decided to take this step.For a long time it was a hot topic of discussion in the city.Can you justify taking lives which are not your own be it of your own kids?can love be so strong and cruel at the same time?
But no amount of whys which we can ask and perhaps find the answer in each and every such situation won't bring solace,lost lives never come back.
I held Ina a little tighter yesterday as she slept and sent a prayer for the little soul hoping he had found happiness and peace atleast now.





10 comments:
Fuzzy -
I started to read this - but I cannot. My heart cannot deal with this sort of evil in the world. It disturbs me so much that I cannot sleep for days.
Thanks for your kind comment. It is nice to know that there are other great parents out there like you!
Baron-Yes I know it's pretty disturbing.Infact it took me some days after I read the news to get over the sad feeling.I had to put out the thoughts that came haunting me and hence was this blog entry.You are right,the amount of evil around is scary,but there is also lot of goodness around in the form of wonderful people that keeps me from losing all trust in this world.
Thanks so much for your sweet words.You sound like a wonderful parent I hope I can turn out half as good!:)
I keep coming back here and read this post. It is troubling. The loss of lives. Somewhere, someone or maybe many are grieving. I'm grieving and I don't know these people.
I don't want to feel sorry for anyone but can't help but wonder why there was no one around to see the signs and try to help. Maybe they did, and the mother stayed true to her mission. It is all so hard to explain and understand.
I lost my oldest almost 16 years ago. A car accident. She's gone. Our lives are forever changed. Whose lives did this woman change? The readers? Relatives? Friends? Yes, it haunts me. It is sad. Makes me feel like I should at least try to look around a bit and pay more attention. Maybe somewhere, some time I could make a difference.
You will Fuzzy - you put alot of effort and I can sense your energy - it is a gift to be a parent - you will do well. - Baron
Spadoman- Sorry to hear about your daughter.That must have been hard.Death has a way of suddenly uprooting lives.
In this case I also felt the same way whether someone somewhere could have said or done something that could have stopped this tragedy.It was a thing which could have been perhaps averted.
Thanks for your words and for dropping by.You have seen the world and I really respect what you say.
Baron- Oh no!did the damn blogger block you up too?Hope this problem will get sorted out.
I appreciate your kind words.That was mighty sweet!
Stories like this are the most disturbing. We will never know the hows & whys & I can't help but wonder if the mothers' ever understand it themselves.
A dear friend once proposed to me that life was like chocolate pudding... very good & enjoyed by most, but some folks just don't like it & if it's on their plate every morning when they wake up, eventually, they'll push it away.
You & Ina are very blessed to have each other. As sad & tragic as this story was, it did, at least, inspire you to hold Ina close to your heart for an extra minute or two. Hugs & Love to all of the struggling Momma's out there... the job is never done.
(((Fuzzy))) You are deep, thoughtful, sincere, articulate & all around wonderful...Thank You!
(((Skinny)))that was the sweetest thing anyone has said to me.TY.
I love the philosophy of your friend,I think she is so right,not everyone appreciates what they have until they lose it.We forget to count our blessings.I have spent I feel half of my 26 years just blaming and maybe at times not really appreciating what I have until in med school where I encountered so many people who really had a reason to complain but still were happy.They made me rethink and I'm so glad they changed my outlook completely.Perhaps that's a reason when sad and unfortunate things like this appear I feel terrible because nothing is worth giving up what you have.
You are a wonderful person and infact I always learn something from you and your post everytime.I'm so glad you bumped into my blog one fine day:)
I think that another reason that events like this makes us all sad & reflective is because part of us thinks 'this could be anyone' or 'could anyone have made a difference & helped this situation' and we realize that 'anyone' includes ourselves & everyone we know.
Yes, I think my girlfriend may have been onto something, her brother had committed suicide. It's always so sad because it just takes a moment to happen, such a permanent solution, as they say, to a temporarry problem or issue.
I'm glad I bounced into 'your world' and am grateful you don't mind sharing! P&L, as always!
A few months ago, in Delhi, a father jumped from his balcony with his two children... afer shooting his wife... When I had read about it I had felt completely dead, inside. Empty.
Life is really cruel. And it is high time we start counting our blessings.
Skinny-I know that's what really haunted me too that somehow in some way perhaps if that could have been averted.
By the way enjoy your trip and have a good time with your family!
Minal-Thanks for dropping in.I can understand how hearing such things makes us feel.When someone attempts something like that we get a feeling of having lost something inside us.Maybe that's what makes us all human and that we do care.
We really ought to count our blessings,we are indeed fortunate when compared to a lot more people out there.
Post a Comment