Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Hunting down Bargains

Being far from family for us here friends are our mainstay for support and they have become another new found family now.So come Christmas and any holiday we all huddle around together and have a good time.Yesterday ofcourse was the Boxing day so most of them were out hunting down whatever good bargains they found.They had found and researched it well in advance as to where the good deals were and there were quick and continuous calls made to and fro just to catch those stratergic places and who would go where:)The guys ofcourse were looking for bargains in some electronic and geeky computer stuff whereas the ladies were busy with the apparels and accessories stuff.This time around I refused to accompany them,I just wanted to snooze and have a lazy time at home.And who wants to trudge along a crying, babbling baby and go out in that maddening crowd,I didn't even want to deal with that.So after much pursuit and no luck they all gave up on me and started making the plans without me.I sat there listening to them as they made their action plan.One guy was stationed at the popular electronic store to hold the fort from 6 am for those good bargains.Another guy was stationed at another similar store so he could catch on the bargains just incase the other guy missed them.They ran out of one person to station at one more stratergic place and then there were many calls made and finally they found a guy who was willing to go there but he demanded some share!!everyone scratched their heads and decided that the share he demanded didn't quite amount to profit so they dropped him like a hot potato and proceeded without him.Well this was all done on 25th night!
Come next day morning alarms were ringing at 4:30 am at our house and my hubby not one to wake up anyday before 7:30am come even a natural disaster was up on the first ring(surprise!surprise)!All set and ready by 5:15am he was out to his station:) and then the next 6 hours I was seized by phone calls from each and everyone of them calling me up and asking me to check the so and so website again and tell them the directions,they told me this was my share of contributing to the team since I was not there doing it in person!So I spent the day instead of my dream of snoozing and lazing around just answering the calls and giving them their info from all those damn websites and catalogues!Finally I got a call that the mission was accomplished and there were only 2 casualities aka deals which they couldn't get their hands on.The girls were ecstatic and the whole gang came home in the afternoon ravenous for food but with big smiles on their faces and loads of shopping bags.They sat and admired their booties like a bunch of pirates admiring their loot(Spadoman,meet the modern day Pirates,we all have the Pirate blood in us):).I then whipped up a quick lunch and we all sat around and then they began sharing all their day's experiences. The girlfriends were so sweet,inspite of my refusal to join them they had managed to bag me some of the goodies and I had a great pair of dresses and a lovely pair of shoes which I had wanted for a long time,how can you not love such crazy folks:)There were funny tales as to how the girls had to watch and manage to wrestle out a lovely coat from another customer at the store who was also eyeing the item,how one store had refused to accept the gift card and how they all managed to convince her to finally accept it,how one guy managed to even get a free deals,how one more almost fought with another person in the line at one store or how they even had to steal out spots to park the car at the parking lots.But all was not hunky and dory,there were ofcourse disagreements,one friend got a nice earful from his wife(the other team member) for having gotten a DVD player when they already had one at home,one more friend felt the deal he got on his hometheatre was not good enough on second thoughts,one more girl was already thinking of exchanging her fur coat for another colour while the other contemplated whether she should have bagged the other bag she saw at "Guess".There were mock fights amongst the couples about why and whether the things the other half bought were over indulgence and some frivolous banter about how the day's events unfolded and there was a deeper discussion about what things would they want for next Boxing event!Whatever they had done they were all a team. There were some who really didn't have anything to buy but still had gotten up early and came to stand in the line for their friends and happily sat across my table grinning ear to ear and laughing and sharing everything.Looking at all of them around me and sharing the smiles and adventures I felt a warm glow and a nice and happy feeling. They are crazy,wacko and sometimes outrageous bunch of guys and girls but they are all adorable and I wouldn't exchange a single one of them for anything in the world.I also had a bargain on the boxing day,I got a day of fun and filled with love and laughter around me and I think that one too was a pretty good one!:)

9 comments:

Something to Say said...

Reminds me of the Thanksgiving we have int he US. before my son was born - we too did all the stuff your friends did. Now we just wait to see how His majesty is feeling before heading out. in fact i did a post on my thanksgiving experiences this year.
http://saynaasomething.blogspot.com/2006/11/black-friday.html

fursat said...

Wow!! An interesting Boxing Day for ya it seems and without the hassle of standing in line. I did what you were supposed to do this Boxing Day, lazed around as most of my friends were away. I went shopping a little later in the day though :P

Nice post. Thanks for visiting me!!

Itchingtowrite said...

professionally run bargain!! great job. i too love a bargain

karmic said...

Brave souls all for having gone thru this and you as well for doing the phone and web coordination.

I would not go thru this no way. :)

Fuzzylogic said...

Something to say- I read your entry on that one,seems like you had a similar experience.I agree making a plan for outing after having a kid really becomes such a big deal,first you got to cater their whims and fancies and see whether they give a green signal before heading to the door!

Ricky-Thanks for dropping by.Good for you that you had a pretty relaxing day instead of spending it shivering out in the lines!I so wanted to do that:)

Itching to write-Yes,professionally run bargain indeed,it was fun to see them do that.I too love good bargains but I hate shopping with a whole lot of crowd and I hate having to stand in lines even to pay at the cash counters.That tells a lot about my patience level doesn't it?:)Thanks for the visit and I hope to see you around.

Sanjay- I was forced to do it,they threatened me with dire consequences like they would not baby sit for those times I needed to get a breather and isolating me from future outings!they are a bunch of meanies:)Glad however that you didn't have to deal with that!!

rayshma said...

there's nothing like a gud bargain... was tiring for us. but well, was my 1st x'mas here, so hubby blvd it was like an induction procedure - for me to be a part of the post x'mas shopping frenzy! now, *an entire day at the mall, a whole lot of awesome stuff and a 2 hour drive home later* i look back & feel - WOW! that was SO worth it!

Fuzzylogic said...

Rayshma- If you do land up with a good bargain all the pain seems worth it!I agree on the excitement of being a part of the whole thing rather than the major shopping part.Good that you had a great time and got awesome shopping also done!

skinnylittleblonde said...

Wow! I would have made the same call as you...stay at home! :) Glad all had fun & hope you have a great New Years Eve!

Fuzzylogic said...

Skinny-Welcome back:)Hope you have a wonderful New year eve too!