Friday, September 19, 2008

The journey so far

The things I have done the past few months while I was pulling off that disappearing act.

1. Burnt some midnight oil,sprained a muscle or two,kicked myself for having not been smart enough to have chosen another easier profession and somehow got through a long series of exams.

2. Went through a nerve racking residency match and flew across every corner of the country attending interviews. Drained every penny from PC Man's generous pocket while he sweetly drove me to airport religiously every week and took care of little Ina.

3. Spent the post interview months making PC Man pull his hair out in sheer frustration trying to stop me from chewing my nails off in frenzied anticipation of the results.

4. Finally landed a residency in a field I love but which required a big move from a beloved city to a smaller,colder town in the west. Sold the condo, rented a house in the new town and got poor grandma to fly overseas to help us with Ina.

5. Began a journey of planning a life around a call schedule,being constantly sleep deprived,demanding,thrilling and utterly tiring life as a first year medical resident while trying to balance an equally choatic life with a preschooler.

I love what I do but at times it can get pretty stressful and starts to get to me. It's been just a few months into the training and the constant tiredness at times consumes me. Every 4th day being on call working straight 36-40 hours exhausts me. I miss being there 24/7 for Ina above all. But at the end of each day when she shreiks in delight at the sight of me and comes rushing in with a big little hug and outpouring of such abundant love everything else just melts away making all of it worthwhile. We try to take one day at a time and ofcourse having a great hubby and a patient mom certainly helps!

6 comments:

Anusha said...

Oh.My.God.
your absence is forgiven, superwoman! I had no idea you were a doctor, somehow from your prvious posts I inferred it was mkting or pr.
congrats on so many things! I'm sure Ina is proud of you - where have you moved to?

Lavs said...

Just the other day, I was wondering why no doc blogs (rather why haven't I found a doc's blog). You have fulfilled that criteria...All the best Superwoman...I am sure you are going to come up with trumps in your residency and work.
**Hugs**

aMus said...

i bow to thee..a doc and a mom too...wowie, you are super, woman!!! ;)

and yes take it one day at a time, there will be good days and the not so good and you'll get thro both...

Fuzzylogic said...

KM- *flexing some muscles* superwoman huh? I wish:( Trust me I am capable nowadays of falling asleep even...........zzzzzz...
in middle of conversations zzzzzzz........

Lavs- Thanks for the hug girl!yep,we docs need some outlet too:)
but then there are some restrictions on what we can blog. So I choose to blog just about crazy old moi and not dwell too much on any patient encounters.

Suma- That was such a sweet and comforting comment to read.TY!for this I will TRY to watch TSOM with you one day:)

Maggie said...

Fuzzy, you closet genius, you! I'm terribly sorry that I can no longer call you my twin :-(

Fuzzylogic said...

Maggie-Genius and moi?I wish:(and why the disownment twin? I am still the crazier one and you are the wiser one remember?:)