Ode to Jughead
I came across this piece of news today as I was browsing around:
It's raining cats and dogs!
A dog that often jumped out the window of his owners' ground-floor apartment jumped out of the window of their new flat forgetting it was six floors up.
Fortunately the lucky dog was saved when it landed on a balcony three floors down from the apartment in Cologne.The dog's owners Udo and Angela Baecker, both 29, called the fire department when they heard their pet boxer whining from the balcony below. They couldn't get him themselves because the tenants were away on vacation."We've only been in the new apartment for a week, but thought TJ would have got used to it after climbing up all the stairs. We never thought he'd try his usual trick of jumping from the window to get into the garden," said Angela.I don't think this dog will be jumping out of any more windows anytime soon.
Poor TJ!I have owned a boxer once and I have to admit they are not the smartest cookie in the jar.They are very sweet and very fun loving and friendly and extremely active.My boxer was named Jughead and when dad had brought him home he was undoubtedly the most adorable puppy I had ever seen and I was ecstatic to have him.Much to the chagrin of my mother who happens to maintain that dogs are nothing but messy and nuisance, our house has always had one or two all the time because my dad and we kids were always crazy about them.As he was growing up he was oodles of fun and we all adored him.Boxers are very people friendly dogs and they need people around them,we didn't realise how much he would miss us when I had to leave home to study at the university and dad and brother left for sailing(My dad and brother both happen to be in merchant navy).Mom used to always say he remains sad all the time whenever I called in and asked about Jughead.Mom had taken up to renovate the home for a while during that time and one day she had kept the paint outside home while she went to get things assembled inside and this was fresh white paint.That day it was a bit late in feeding Jughead and he was hungry.He just happened to walk near the paint and stupid dog thought it was some food and went and dunked its head into the paint and slurped most of it!!Mom came back and she was taken aback seeing his head inside the paint and immediately took him to the vet.The vet did give her some medicine and said we will watch and see and he should be fine.But as days went by my Jughead never became fine again.He developed rashes all over his mouth and couldn't feed for days and we had to get an IV.He then had pneumonia and he got weaker by the day.I was home when he fell ill and took care of him,he would just nustle himself next to me and I would get all teary thinking of his former bouncy self.I had to leave for university again and asked mom to take him to vet again and take care.She did but Juggy never improved,his condition deteriorated and one fine day mom called me and said he is no more.I remember crying inconsolably over the phone as soon as I heard it.It broke my heart and for a long time I didn't want another dog.I still have his pics,will post them someday.But he was truly the sweetest dog I had ever had and I'll always remember him.This is to you Juggy!!I hope you know you were loved a lot and I miss you.
It's raining
A dog that often jumped out the window of his owners' ground-floor apartment jumped out of the window of their new flat forgetting it was six floors up.
Fortunately the lucky dog was saved when it landed on a balcony three floors down from the apartment in Cologne.The dog's owners Udo and Angela Baecker, both 29, called the fire department when they heard their pet boxer whining from the balcony below. They couldn't get him themselves because the tenants were away on vacation."We've only been in the new apartment for a week, but thought TJ would have got used to it after climbing up all the stairs. We never thought he'd try his usual trick of jumping from the window to get into the garden," said Angela.I don't think this dog will be jumping out of any more windows anytime soon.
Poor TJ!I have owned a boxer once and I have to admit they are not the smartest cookie in the jar.They are very sweet and very fun loving and friendly and extremely active.My boxer was named Jughead and when dad had brought him home he was undoubtedly the most adorable puppy I had ever seen and I was ecstatic to have him.Much to the chagrin of my mother who happens to maintain that dogs are nothing but messy and nuisance, our house has always had one or two all the time because my dad and we kids were always crazy about them.As he was growing up he was oodles of fun and we all adored him.Boxers are very people friendly dogs and they need people around them,we didn't realise how much he would miss us when I had to leave home to study at the university and dad and brother left for sailing(My dad and brother both happen to be in merchant navy).Mom used to always say he remains sad all the time whenever I called in and asked about Jughead.Mom had taken up to renovate the home for a while during that time and one day she had kept the paint outside home while she went to get things assembled inside and this was fresh white paint.That day it was a bit late in feeding Jughead and he was hungry.He just happened to walk near the paint and stupid dog thought it was some food and went and dunked its head into the paint and slurped most of it!!Mom came back and she was taken aback seeing his head inside the paint and immediately took him to the vet.The vet did give her some medicine and said we will watch and see and he should be fine.But as days went by my Jughead never became fine again.He developed rashes all over his mouth and couldn't feed for days and we had to get an IV.He then had pneumonia and he got weaker by the day.I was home when he fell ill and took care of him,he would just nustle himself next to me and I would get all teary thinking of his former bouncy self.I had to leave for university again and asked mom to take him to vet again and take care.She did but Juggy never improved,his condition deteriorated and one fine day mom called me and said he is no more.I remember crying inconsolably over the phone as soon as I heard it.It broke my heart and for a long time I didn't want another dog.I still have his pics,will post them someday.But he was truly the sweetest dog I had ever had and I'll always remember him.This is to you Juggy!!I hope you know you were loved a lot and I miss you.






5 comments:
teary-eyed...for Jughead & his innocent mistake, his rash, your loss & mostly, for the love, the unconditional love you found in him...
You should get another dog again, one day...
Thanks for sharing the moving memory!
I have thought of getting another dog many times,back home my parents do have 2 more but I havent gotten any since I moved here.Maybe sometime soon because I want my daughter to experience the love and sweetness that comes from owning one and making them a part of your affections and life.
But to me Jughead will always be special.
Well, I have tears in my coffee. Our childhood love was Lady, a silver weimeriener. I cried for days, hundreds of miles away, when she finally gave in and left us. Life is too short. Here's to Jughead, Lady, Harley, Tank, Oliver,Lucky and Giselle..... all the four legged Angels!
Fuzzy~ Oh, I hope you do get a dog one day, for you & your daughter. I have 5 & love them all. Since dogs have such shorter lives than humans, I was advised to have more than one...that when the time came for one to pass, I would have a support network that would still want & need me as much as I needed them! I did a post on them, 'Dogs of my World', back in August :)
Also, I love the name Jughead but find it ironic that he stuck his head in a jug of paint...that's about like my dear dog Crunch (passed 4-21-05) who had to have a wee hours of the night emergency vet visit because he ate a stack of plywood. (The vet said luckily he had chewed it up very well...crunch, crunch, crunch...or he would have died then)
Singleton~ I'm adding Crunch & Candy to your list... still miss them...even the three-legged ones ;)
Singleton-Indeed they are four legged angels!Losing a dog is really like losing a loved one.Maybe my Jughead is romancing your Lady up there!:)
Skinny-That's a good way I guess to heal if you have more than one dog.Wish they didn't have such short lives.Even though short they fill ours with so much love that makes me remember them even after they are long gone.
Your dog crunch's story made me laugh,so glad he crunched his way back to you.Yes it's pretty ironic about my Jughead dumping literally his head into a jug!
I have to go through all your wonderful posts.I've been tied down for time and next week onwards will be relatively free,so will surely check them all out.You are wonderful!!!
Post a Comment