Angels I grew up with
Growing up in a household with pets has always been a delightful experience.I think any true blue pet owner
would agree just how much of joy having one can bring.My dad loved animals most of all dogs.He was like a pied piper for dogs.I don't know how but even the ferocious dogs used to become docile when he spoke or petted them.Everyone in the neighborhood used to call him the dog whisperer!I never understood how he did that, it was like some unspoken connection.He would tell us tales about how even as a child when his parents didn't allow him to own a dog he literally adopted all the street dogs in the neighborhood and would hide a share of his food and stealthily would go out and feed them.He would tell us tales of how once he nursed a wounded dog back to health keeping it in the room well hidden from his mom.It's perhaps not a surprise that when he had us he knew what a gift having a pet would be.We always had them around as we grew up.I guess me and my brother inherited that love for dogs from him.
But well she was hopelessly outnumbered in the family of us pet lovers so she had to silently accept their presence.At one point of time dad had adopted a pair of street dogs and after few days they conveniently relocated to living in our garage.This couple went ahead and had one generation of 4 puppies which also continued to reside in our garage.All of them were just shining black with not a spot of white and surprisingly never left our home anytime.And then this generation was joined by couple of other little dogs and then they produced another 6 puppies all black and almost looking like clones.There used to be hardly space in the garage to park our bikes and cars but they somehow managed to squeeze themselves somewhere and were content to stay in the limited space.
The neighbors used to joke around saying we are raising a black brigade army in our garage.I used to tell them we are raising a cloned army like the star wars and someday plan to take over the planet:)All of them didn't really differ much.Come evening once the heat and the blazing sun would be out they would all assemble around the big huge coconut tree in the front garden and lazily lay around until we would come out and give them some food for dinner.I still recall that image.It was the talk of the neighborhood for years.And it used to great fun being greeted by a huge bunch of black dogs all whining and jumping around the moment we arrived from school!We called them our private entourage!There were 2 puppies in particular, they always greeted us with a dance which remotely resembled the arabian belly dance.We used to call them our circus troup.We had dancers,clowns and the performers.They perhaps stayed on with us for quite a few years and then slowly after 3 generations they left one by one.The oldest of them however never left.
Other than dogs I have had lot many more pets too.I have so far owned 2 squirrels,1 cat,2 parrots,2 love birds,lots of fish,1 Civet cat,2 rabbits and ofcourse 3-4 dogs not all at one time but sometime or the other growing up.The squirrels I came to own after my dad brought 2 baby squirrels which had fallen off from a tree and were caught in a rain.The parrots came from a neighbor who had to move and couldn't care for them.The love birds were brought by my brother.They were perhaps the only birds I ever had and somehow they were also the last because I realized I hated seeing them in a cage,I felt sad for them.Ofcourse there was a big aquarium at home and the fishes continued to come and go.Civet cat
was a long story,dad found it near a road with a bleeding wound and he brought it home to nurse and we didn't keep it with us for long,dad took it back once it felt better and left it back in the woods.The rabbits were again from a local animal shelter.But whatever the reason brought them to us,they became a part of the family.And many of the dogs again were either from an animal shelter or from the street.They didn't take too much room,just enough to fill our hearts.I still feel incomplete without a pet.Someday soon I will get one so my daughter can grow up with the same love we felt as we were growing up towards the creatures who also happen to share our world with us.Have a great weekend everyone.I will leave you with this poignant video and something to think about......
"If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men." - St. Francis of Assisi, Roman Catholic friar, founder of the Franciscans Order





8 comments:
Nice Post! Although I am scared of dogs (very scared), I cannot bear to see an animal hurt and do love them. As long as they are far away from me!
Oh my goodness what a wonderful post. I love you and your family for loving animals as much as you do. My wife and I have always loved animals as well. I can't imagine a world without them.
Our love of animals is one of the reasons we became vegans over five years ago. And we'll never go back.
Having 5 rescue dogs (and sometimes six...because we foster :) I can tell you they are my four-legged angels here on earth. Simple, unconditional love. I am so glad that your father passed this affection down to you & that you are passing it further down. Love Grows!
I grew up in a household where my brothers were always rescuing animals and birds.They would nurse them back to health and then send them on their way.In my home now we have no pets because the children have asthma. I think pets complete a home.
Sai-It's really not important to own pets to love animals.I think its far more important to be kind.By the way how come you are scared of dogs?did you have any unpleasant incidents with them?I hope not:)Thanks for coming by.
Dan-Thanks for such sweet words!I agree we really cannot imagine a world without animals.I used to be a little animal advocate in my neighborhood:)I'm so glad you and your wife love animals.Lulu the homicidal cat would be so glad to hear this.I bet she is grinning evilishly in some corner right now and making some more plans to get you down the stairs:)
And its great to meet a fellow vegan!I've been vegan all my life.
Glad you shared that here.Hope you had a wonderful weekend!
Skinny-I know you would really understand.Indeed the four legged angels do make such a difference to our lives.You fostered dogs?that's really such a nice thing to do.I wish I could do too.But right now all the wishes are on hold till the little one grows up a bit more:)But someday I will!
Starry-Yes I too feel pets complete home.But then when children are allergic to pets it can be tough.I think it was a right decision on your part not to have them right now.Allergy can be pretty nasty for kids.Thanks for coming by.As I said I think its really no need to own animals as pets to love and appreciate them.I'm glad to see you do care.
have you visited the blog agelessbonding ??
u will like her posts on pets
nice post! i've also grown up in a house full of pets. i still feel that a family isn't complete without at least one kid and one pet! lol! animals teach u a very different and beautiful perspective of love...
Artnavy-Thanks for bringing that post to my notice,that's a nice blog and I loved that post!
Rayshma-You bet,indeed I strongly feel pets do complete a house.And yes animal love is a lot like a innocent love of a child.It is unadulterated and pure.Are you planning to get one sometime?Ofcourse apart from the tiger cub:)
Post a Comment