Thursday, February 08, 2007

What do you say?

How many times have you wondered whenever you attended a funeral that how it feels to be buried.I know I certainly have and no I don't think I have issues ,it's just the inquisitive part of me I guess and perhaps that one part of me that makes me watch horror movies even though I know I wouldn't like it.It's simple ,perhaps the unknown always kind of beckons more than the known. I am a self confessed claustrophobic,I hate confined spaces so it's more horrible for me to imagine how it would be to be cooped up in a box and lowered six feet under. My fear is something that is shown in Kill Bill 2 where Uma Thurman gets buried alive(that scene returns to haunt me so many times,thank god she made her way back otherwise I would have been permanently scarred)! And so incase you always wondered now is your chance to know.

The Austrian collective monochrom invites you to be buried alive in a private graveyard.
Premature Burial as a Field Trial for Near Death Activities will offer participants an opportunity to be buried alive in a coffin for up to fifteen minutes. Volunteers will be able to experience a semi-traumatic situation(talk about it!)and possibly get in close contact with various gods and/or afterlives(I'm not sure whether close contact with various gods is possible,I perhaps would be more worried about how to get out incase people forget to dig me out)
People buried alive not only populate the horror stories of past centuries, but also countless reports in specialized medical literature(Perhaps a PTSD?)The theme of unintentional resurrection by grave robbers also runs through forensic protocols. Even in the 19th century it was said that every tenth person was buried alive(Holy molly every tenth?thank god I was not born in that century) So are you up for the challenge?a time to shake out and literally rise from dirt? It’s definitely an uncommon opportunity to chill out in a cozy box for 15 minutes and then resurface for a fanfare greeting (yes if anyone of you chose this you can be sure I will come to cheer you) Besides that, who can resist the chance to acquire such a fantastic party story?(I can,but you brave souls I know are more adventurous)
First however you sign the waiver(why the waiver,they are not sure they are going to dig me out?)after that you can spend the next few minutes watching the people shovel to bury your coffin. Then you are introduced to the people who are going to bury you.Hmm..how will the conversation go? Mr.Undertaker-Hi there,Ms Fuzzy,today I am going to bury you
Me-Oh that's so freaking cool,I have always so wanted to be a part of this experience,this is definetly going to be one of the most enlightening moments of my life (provided I come back to tell the story)
I hope they allow me to choose the music,I'm still not sure which song I would want them to play,the only song that's haunting me right now is "I wanna go home" by Michael Buble,which I guess is definetly not apt one.
So after this and another lecture delivered about how premature burials were such a common thing in the past (Ok,this is not something I'm making up,as per the experience of one person who went through this,this is how the process goes,My question is, is it necessary to say that just when you are preparing to get buried?)Anyway after the warning bells start ringing continuously as you think about those poor souls who got buried alive,you get ready for the experience.
So if you were said you could carry something with you into this grave what would you take with you?Hmm..I would perhaps love to get a oxygen tank for sure and maybe my Ipod,and yes definetly an axe or something to cut through the wood incase I have to carve my way out. But in this case you are not allowed to take in anything as monochrom recommends participants have a puritanical relationship with their premature burial.That's it then the coffin gets shut in a ceremonious manner.I have slammed the door on to people's face at times,now I can't imagine how harder this would be!Next loads of sand gets heaved onto the coffin.All light and nearly all sound are sealed out.So now you are officially dead!(OMG,my thoughts would be "what possessed me to get myself here")Inside the coffin, a closed-circuit video camera monitors participants (yes,I bet that would make an interesting footage,not to mention creepy)
Then you continue to sit there and you are supposed to get in touch with yourself and the higher spiritual power and all that blah blah.This whole process is supposed to last 15 minutes!I think I would prefer to get some sudoko to kill that time!Then once its all up you hear yourself being excavated and soon enough you will step out and enjoy the feeling to be alive again.You thus successfully attended your own burial.
So tell me friends,would you be a willing participant?how many of you would be up to this?
I think its interesting but I have to admit I am not that brave. If anyone is interested in finding out more check the link.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

"Get in touch with yourself?" I'm not EVEN going there.

That said, I've had the same curiosity about being buried alive, but it's usually followed by gasping for air.

di.di said...

I dont want to be buried alive.. I dont like the idea and I wont think about it....

singleton said...

I don't even want to be buried when I'm dead!

Spadoman said...

No thanks. When I came out of anestetic after open heart surgery in March of 2003, I laid in the hospital bed and was pretty sure I was talking to the Creator, (or I had some great drugs going through the tubes into my body), I asked him if this was it and should I let go and die now, was this my time. I was calm about it, ready to go if that was going to be the case.
He told me to keep fighting and that was not the time I was going to die. He said he'd tell me when.
To me, that was my time "in the coffin". I was ready, but it wasn't to be that day. Maybe so I can work for peace and be a Grandpa to a mess of kids.
Like Singleton, no burial for me, I wanna burn baby burn. That's what I asked, but I certainly won't have any way of getting my way, will I?

Peace

rayshma said...

i agree am nuts.. but this really goes a tad too far! i'm sure i can come up with better ways to spend my time...!

karmic said...

lol.. loved reading it. Is it morbid fridays? ;) Just kidding

Enemy of the Republic said...

Well, this is different. Cremation, baby!

Anonymous said...

No thank you.no amount of anything will make me want to do this experiment.Cannot even think about it.Like you said" what if they forget."

Fuzzylogic said...

Dorky dad-Lol!You have an imaginative mind:)My curiosity remains only in that stage of being curious,I also don't think I can venture into knowing anything more.

Dramadiv@-Lol,this was supposed to be just a funny take on that,I too feel its pretty absurd to undergo anything like that.I share your fears,I don't want to be buried.It scares the hell out of me to even think about it.

Singleton-I hear ya and I agree!

Spadoman-You certainly were needed to be with your family and enjoy with your grand children and feel the love.I feel you are a trooper.I wish you great health and plenty of happiness for many many more years to come.You are much needed even here amongst us!
I feel the same about being buried,in my religion its the fire which will take you in the end so in that sense I guess I know how it will be.But then again does it really make any difference?Sometimes I do feel both fame and death are truly overrated.My grandmother always says ultimately in any form you go back to the earth itself.

Rayshma-Sorry friend,I know this was bit morbid but I just wanted to give it a funny take.I guess I got people going way too serious about it:)

Sanjay-You were right,perhaps it was morbid friday!I'm glad you laughed at this as that was the only intention if this post:)

EOTR-Yes hear it for cremation from my side too!

Lalitha-Lol,exactly!what if they decide to take a coffee break and come back later:)Nothing would make me go for this too!

By Deepa and Supriya said...

Y'know what? I might just be willing to do it....something's been edging me to get a li'l more adventurous..i have been thinking of doing a few things like some extreme sport (which is not so extreme() like bungee jumping so, maybe I can handle this.....atleast I would be curious enough to try it.

skinnylittleblonde said...

LOL, I have no desire to be buried...alive or dead. Fertilize the flowers & trees with my ashes...

I have a friend who has a coffin that he pulls out on Halloween...when I go there, I can't help but to crawl inside. It's strange.

Fuzzylogic said...

Orchid-You my friend is truly the adventurous one!I have a feeling if we were to have met as classmates we would have really hit off well:)I love your spirit.By the way when you do go for bungee jumping and need a company just let me know,I have been thinking about it but just have not gathered enough guts to try it out.That is certainly one of the things I want to do in my life!

Skinny-Coffins of any kind creep me out,maybe its all those Ann Rice novels and those vampire movies!But I bet during Halloween it can be kind of fun:)I too would prefer my remains be scattered as ashes than be buried.Somehow burial thing scares me out!When you think about it each culture treats its dead ones in a different way.Each one has its own concept about death and treating its dead.But all concepts do advocate the earth to earth theory I guess.Just the ways are different.

Rebus said...

Close contact with various gods; hmmph; in case they forget to dig you out, that surely be close contact with other dead ones.

But a nice place for retrospection!

Fuzzylogic said...

Rebus-Lol,I agree the dead ones would surely be the only contact if they did indeed forget!Thanks for coming by and hope to see you around.I will be hopping down to your blog soon:)