A smelly story
Sometimes you can find yourself in socially awkward situations.You sometimes might notice things amiss in people we are with,if it's really a friend you can go ahead and tell him or her things like "Hey,there's cat poop in your hair" or "Hey smartguy,your fly's down" or "you still have that sale sticker on your skirt girl" before you proceed to laugh.It's not that tough to straighten things up with people who you know will not misunderstand you.But with collegues and people who you work with it can get complicated. You just can't walk in and say things like that because you never know how they are going to take it.Maybe lot many would be happy you brought such a thing to their notice before it became a standing joke amongst other collegues and saved them from embarassment but few other might get so offended they might go shoot the messenger down. There are topics which can be dealth with panache with them but there are some topics which people are not so keen to touch.Some topics are considered sensitive and some wouldn't even want to touch it with a barge pole. 
There was a time when we had 3-4 such smelly people at work around me. I always felt like that little boy in sixth sense uttering in that hushed tone "I see smelly people,they are all around me.Walking around like regular people. They can't smell anything about them.They don't know they're so repulsively smelly". We, meaning the collegues assaulted by this war on our senses decided something had to be done.Someone had to inform these people how they needed to do something drastic about their odor crisis.
3.We left anonymous notes on their desks about how someone thinks their odor is bad-all the notes used to be found stuffed into the wastepaper baskets and that resulted in more onions and garlic in his diet,he would say this is his way of getting back at those liars who seem to be spreading rumors behind his back about his breath being nasty,we almost died!
First just bad breath,imagine bad breath combined with onion and garlic,it surely was the most powerful anaesthetic known to man,people went into a state of suspended animation just in a matter of seconds talking to the man!
Now I have heard there are some sites which even offer to send anonymous emails to such cases,there is even an anonymous phone call offered on these sites and if you are not such a cheapo as to go for the free ones you can shell out a $5 extra and get the whole package.It comes fully equiped with a pack of breath mints,a personalized anonymous message including shipping and handling.We live in such a packaged world !there's a rejection hotline ,even breakup hotline where you pay and the message gets delivered!How lazy can people get?Anyway what's your smelly story?(isn't virtual world anyway grand in the sense we are really odor free)How did you guys deal with such sticky situations and what would you do if you were to deal with a smelly collegue?My hubby is having a tough time dealing with a smelly collegue right now.Perhaps he can use your advice:)
Have a odorfree absolutely delightful weekend everyone!






15 comments:
This is a tough one. I think whatever you will do will offend the person one way or another. I work in an IT industry and believe me there are guys that don't shower for days, so I can fully understand your dilemma.
Infact, there was a survey done in my Univ. as to why there are so few girls in Computer Sc. and the number one response was, "because the guys smell bad in class"...lol. I have now got used to it, there seems no choice. If you find any answer then do tell me :D
The only way I can think is that make the computers odor-resistant, like they should show "blue screen of smell" when someone is really smelling bad and believe me geeks (or anyone for that matter) cannot live without their computers. What say, shall I work on the technology? ;)
I love how you can make unfortunate situations funny! :D
At an office where I worked a few years ago, there was a very nice lady with very bad breath. One day I mentioned it to a co-worker. "She's so nice, but her breath - OMG!"
The next day the bad breath lady smelled minty fresh and never stunk again. Did someone tell her? Maybe she was walking by and overheard. I don't know.
On the other hand, I have to tell my teenage son to brush his teeth almost every day and it still doesn't do any good. The next day he stinks again. Try riding in a car with that. Sometimes I want to stick my head out the window like a dog just to get fresh air!
Good luck to your husband.
Nobody wants to hear "you stink!!" even if you do!:) If a person's hygiene is let go to the point it's offensive to others, it may be because of previous example. I actually worked with a guy who reeked; he later said his parents never "took a bath more than once a week", and he was raised the same way. There really are people like that!..(:
Re "Garlic Breath": I try to give those folks a little more slack. What was delicious for lunch, is a flamethrower two hours later.:) Not everyone is thoughtful enough to tuck a bottle of mouth wash away at work.
Here's my smelly story: I worked at McDonald's for years in high school. There was a kid who had bad body odor. The managers made ME tell him to go take a bath. The poor kid looked at me and said, "I DO EVERYTHING I CAN!!" Stupid managers, making me do their smelly work for them.
LOL @ the website that will send an email or make a call! Lazy...or scared.
My brother & his room-mate came down to visit me in my little one bedroom some 15 years ago.Before they arrived I had cleaned the apt. thorough, using bleach in the bathroom. Not long after they arrived I was overwhelmed with an odor creeping seemingly from the bathroom. My apt was so small it took over the whole apt. I thought it was the hot, humid temps combined with the clorox in the tiny bathroom. I ran around opening the doors & windows. It wouldn't go away. I apologized to the guys repeatedly. After they left, my brother called & told me it was his new room-mates feet! Ew! I(t was bad, real bad.
I am so grateful that I work alone and dont have to deal with this.
I fear dating though - I mean how does one be polite with this sort of thing while dating - ughhhh maybe I will just stay single
OMG, talk about weird coincidences, my hubby has had enough with a smelly colleague too :)...and since I know the person he is talking about, I almost feel bad for that person. I keep teling hubby that he should somehow tell that person so it doesn't become an office joke...but really, why can't people realise on their own..I mean what about personal hygiene isn't that just intuitive, I wonder ?
Oopsy I know wha ur hubby must be going thru....i'd a similar experience myself just last week! This guy came from the hot sun & was all sweaty & needless to say smelly too! Unfortunately he had to report to me about something & we were sitting adjacent to each other. But OMG he was just sooo awfully smelly! I cldnt even concentrate on what he was saying! I just hurriedly finished up with him cos I thot it was bad to be nasty & not many ppl will like to hear such things abt them.
Yes, I used to have colleagues who liked to come talk to me just after they had fish for lunch.
Err I did not really bring it to their notice. :-/
Ricky-LOL,probably you should work on that brilliant "blue screen of smell",imaigne the service you would be doing for the entire IT industry workers.You know they even have tiny bad breath analyzers now which perhaps can be used as a gift and as hint to collegues and friends who might need it:)it's so true necessity is the mother of inventions ,isn't it?;)
Anne-Thanks,and wasn't it good that somehow that collegue of yours got the hint and that solved the smelly problem!My hubby is still wondering how to deal with this,he probably will try talking to this guy I guess.LOL about you wanting to stick your nose in car for fresh air,I hope your teenager son takes your advice to heart before he hears it from his classmates,probably you can motivate him by saying how the girls always adore clean deodarized guys:)
TFWY-I know it's really a sticky situation when you have to work with such people,there's never a easy way out to let them know that they are a bit hard on our sense of smell!You worked with a guy who never took bath for a week?whoa,that must have been tough!I am really surprised there are people like that too!
Dorky dad-Poor you!being coerced into doing the dirty deed by the manager,that guy would have probably hated you for saying that.That was definitly misusing their authority.
Skinny-eww..smelly feet can be pretty bad,my brother always knew I had a delicate stomach for such odors and would always tease me by getting his smelly socks and feet from college right into my room and hide those socks somewhere until I went mad trying to find out the source of the smell.Thank god after his wedding my SIL took care of it,now he smells so much nicer:)About the websites I know probably its more of a fear of confrontation which is at work than laziness I guess:)
Baron-I'm glad you really work alone and doesn't have to deal with this issue.My hubby keeps wishing for such a job:)
LOL about your fears for dating,I guess a smelly date would be the worst of all!But don't let that intimidate you Baron,most of the girls I think take care of the smell issue pretty well and usually its the guys who are the problem.Take it as a hint,smelly date always would be the first indication that this perhaps won't be for anything longterm:)You are a great guy Baron,remaining single would be depriving some woman of her Mr.Right,you can't do that when Mr.Right's are a rare find!
Orchid-I too wonder the same thing,how is that people never realize things so pertinent about their own self?I hope your hubby finds a solution to the problem,I too know this guy who works with my hubby,and I think that makes it all the more difficult to tell them about it.If your hubby gets the solution first let me know,I'm sure my husband will appreciate it:)
HTBM-That must have been an awful experience!My hubby happens to be dealing with this guy all the time as they are currently working in the same project,so its all the more hard.Yes,no one wants to hear such stuff about themselves,there's never an easy solution to the problem I guess.
Sanjay-I guess unless it is really bad no one would dare to bring it up to anyone.Many a times lot many choose to bear with it rather than offend the others by pointing it out.I'm assuming you luckily are not dealing with it now!
I had a friend once who had a really bad body odour, I don't think she used and anti perspirant , so I tooke her to the drug store and bought a few things and then proceeded to the deodarant aaisle,Picke up the stuff I used and in the course of the conversation asked her what she uses and suggested the one i use saying how effective it was.She ended up buying one saying she would like to try it too.Problem was solved no more odor.
This is so funny! I had a coworker who had BO and a classmate whose breath could be smelt from 10 miles....YUCK
Starry-That was a nice way of putting things across to your friend.Good that idea worked for you,maybe I should suggest to hubby to try this one too:)
Sai-BO and bad breath that could be smelt from 10 miles ewww..that must have been awful experience Sai.
I guess people with bad breath dont feel it themselves - that is the trouble.
Such an enjoyable post on something so unpleasant!
Usha-Thanks:)Yes I think they are never truly aware of that shortcoming.But I still wonder how is that.Perhaps they just desentisize themselves:)
Post a Comment