Life in the age of old
My parents are getting old,I was on the phone yesterday with my mom and she was saying that the other day she was busy with her painting and the door bell rang.She went and received the neighbor and made her sit in the living room while she went to fetch some coffee.She then came back to her room and somehow coffee and the neighbor both slipped out of her mind and she went back to do her painting.The exasperated neighbor then waited for sometime and when no one came back got up and came down to see what happened only to see mom obliviously engrossed in her painting.Then my mom remembered that she had left that neighbor in the living room and apologized for conveniently forgetting her.I asked my mom whether she did that on purpose as forgetfullness can be a pretty convenient excuse to get rid of pest of a neighbor.She denied it and laughed at
my absurd plan.So I asked them whether I can start calling her and dad as "old goats" she told me I was welcome to call my dad that but if I did dare to call her that she would be more than happy to divulge all my secrets and the troublemaker I truly was to my daughter(fair enough,that will shut my mouth for sure)My dad on the other hand is a man with a great sense of humor.The day he legally became a senior citizen he was listing out how now being a senior citizen has advantages:free checking, 10 percent off at most restaurants,discounts on airways and transit, and not remembering what you had for dinner last night which enables you to have desert two days in a row without feeling guilty.He went and got some freaky fridge magnets which screamed out slogans like "Old=young person wondering what happened" "old is not for sissies" "At last I'm 50" and this one's a laugh riot and butt of all jokes in our house "I'm still hot".I adore both of them.I remember when my little girl was born the first thing my dad said was "Now I get my chance to brag to everyone how their grandchildren are never going to be as bright as mine".My parents,they perhaps cannot be called as the perfect parents but they came close.And they do deserve credit for having raised me as a fine person right?(Lol,talk about self delusions eh?I have my "I'm so vain" moments)But somehow inspite of all the laughts and fun my mind did feel a bit
apprehensive.I guess it was the first time it did strike me that yes my folks are getting old.Maybe it was the effect of what had transpired just few days ago when I spoke to one of my friend.She called me to tell me that her father was no more and then as she spoke she brokedown and cried.She then said the words that perhaps hit hard "I never realized how much I miss him,I always took him for granted and never let them know how much he meant to me and how much I appreciated him and loved him more often than I should have,we never realize what a presence they have in our lives and the stability they give by being there until we have lost them" I felt how many times have we taken time out to really reach out to our parents and let them know how much we love them?And perhaps a time might come soon when we are called upon to be there for them just as they have been there for us.
and for not so fortunate ones it might not be that happy.I have seen so many old people being disposed off to old age homes because their children considered them as a burden,or treat them with disregard and abuse.Back when I was doing my clinical rotations as a student I had come across many such patients who were left for good and neglected by their own children.There was pain,sorrow,hopelessness and despair in those eyes and many a times the stories tugged at my heart.Some of them were taken in by their children during the times when they needed a caretaker for their kids and
they stayed away from their spouse,sacrificed their independence in order to take care of their grandchildren,and once the grandchildren grew up and they were no longer needed they got disposed off to old age homes or sometimes on the streets or into lonely corners of the house like some unwanted pieces of garbage.I'm not bashing old age home system.They are good,they do provide people with independent and dignified living and many a people have been happy there but not all stories are perhaps the happy ones.It's only those not so happy ones where they long for even single visit or occasional happy times to spend with their kids and grandkids or someone whom they can
call family.Why is that children sometimes forget about the sacrifices and love showered on them and neglect the same people who have given them the life they are living?It's not about money,its not even about nursing and care,it perhaps might be just a hug and a kiss,just few hours spent and words spoken and shared with love,is it hard to find even that little for those souls which endure a whole lot for us?My parents always wanted to be independent but I know whenever they need me I will be right there for them in all ways I can.Somehow yesterday at the end of the conversation my eyes welled up and all I could manage was "I love you mom and dad"
Take time out to care for people who matter.Take time out to slow down and cherish what we have before its gone.
This is perhaps one of the most beautiful videos ever to be made.It made me go all misty.





16 comments:
That's a very nice post. I think that your parents are fortunate to have a child like you who is willing to care for them. Not all parents have that.
That said, I also think it's important for us to do what's best for our children, because they will be responsible for us some day.
Your parents are so sweet and caring and they do seem to have raised one fine daughter.
My folks are pretty old and it sucks that they are in India and I don't get to see them as often. I have a sis who lives close by but am the only son.
really wonderful post - ur dad reminds me of an uncle of mine
Your parents are lucky to have such a beautiful daughter.I am sure you will always be there for them.I lost both my parents when I was 23 and did not have a chance to tell them how much I loved them.
Dorky dad-Thanks for the kind words.I truly appreciate it.And yes I do agree raising responsible and caring kids is equally important too.I feel the kids learn to care from seeing how we respect and behave with our parents.I'm sure you have done a great job with your kids.
Sanjay-Even my parents are staying right now in India but they do love travelling a lot and they keep visiting me more often than me visiting them so right now I don't feel that sad that I can't see them often as i could if I had stayed back there in India.But I can understand how hard it must be for you to be far from your parents who are not able to travel that much.It's comforting though that you have your sister staying there nearby to them.I'm sure your parents are proud of having raised a sensitive and caring son like you.
Artnavy-Thanks,my dad truly is the life of our house,he has really taught us how important it is to have a sense of humor and how to laugh at ourselves and face troubles with a smile.I'm sure your uncle is a joy to be around.Thanks for coming by.
Starry-I'm sorry to hear about your parents,that must have been hard to have lost them at a young age.I'm sure that they would have been happy to have seen what a wonderful person you have turned out to be.I really appreciate your kind words and that you were able to share things about your parents.I am blogrolling you if its ok.Thanks for coming by.
What a wonderful post & profound video. Thank you for sharing Fuzzy. My folks are in their 70's and while I consider them 'older' I am yet to accept them as being 'old.' A friend of mine once said 'you're never really an adult, regardless of age, marriage & children, until both your parents have passed.'
I think it is really sad how many seniors get discarded in their old age. I remember my own grandfather complaining about out-living all of his friends and that, too, struck me as very sad.
Beautiful post...today's my mother's 74 (going on 50 :) b-day & I am so very grateful for her....today & everyday.
Great post Fuzzy & thanks again for sharing!
You're one out of a million, trust me! The thing that has amazed me, is we're ALL gonna get old (if we're lucky), but yet we make no provisions for old people! HUH????
When I look around, My Dad is gone, but my Mom remains. My spousal unit has lost both her parents. Then it hits me. My Grandkids and other children in the neighborhood think I am an old man.
In my belief system, being an Elder is something that someone tells you you are, not something that you decide you are. To some, I am an Elder and I am asked eat first or even brought a plate and given to me, (I hate that cause how do they know what I like and that I wanted more peas?). Others don't think I am and I am left to trudge along. I don't mind the journey. There are many like you, Fuzzy, that "get it" and treat all people with respect, young and old. That's a good thing.
Thanks for the post, and the wonderful visits you make to my place to see what the old man has to say:-)
Fuzzy,
That was a mighty fine post! You kind of echoed my thoughts...i feel the same way especially since my parents are soooooooooo far away. Yes, I don't think we take anything else for granted as much as we do our parents.
Beautiful thoughts, beautiful words,
Isn't it funny, we never think WE are old, just those older than us...
Skinny-It's your mom's b'day!I do hope she had a wonderful day,if possible and if I'm not already late do convey my wishes to her.I wish her wonderful times,good health and happiness.Knowing you sisters I'm sure she is just as wonderful.Lol,I would not have gotten away with calling my parents old in front of them!Frankly I don't think I can ever get to think of them as old,I do pull their legs a lot though by making fun about their age much to their chagrin:)I agree with your friend though that is kind of sad truth perhaps.I have a grandmother too who talks many a times how she feels she has already lived her life and anytime she is ready,I always ask her to stop saying that because it leaves me with a very sad feeling.I guess I can never be ready to let anyone go from my life.So I can relate how it would be to hear your grandfather say that.But I have seen it in even my family circle how sometimes everyone tends to take the older parents for granted and treat them bad,it's really sad.
I'm always glad when you come by!
TFWS-It is indeed ironical that even though we know that we are going to grow older many a times we never make any provisions.Maybe each one tends to think that we will cross the bridges when they come across it but perhaps by that time it could be late.It is important to plan ahead.
Thanks for coming by.
Spadoman-"being an Elder is something that someone tells you you are, not something that you decide you are"- I couldn't agree more.Your wisdom and knowledge is something that's so inspirational.I enjoy visiting your blog very much.I do hope someday I get to tell such wonderful stuff about my life too the way you do!You are no old man to me,you have so much enthusiasm and sunny attitude that you beat any so called younger person hollow:)That's why I always call you the Cap'n:)
Orchid-I guess being far from parents is something many of us face after moving to a different country.But I think it has made us realize how much we value them all the more.I think I would have continued to take them for granted if I was near them!don't you agree?
Singleton-I'm so glad you are back in the blogworld!You are right,when we actually think of the others as older we do tend to forget how years are catching up even on us:)I still wake up on every birthday in disbelief!Thanks for coming by Singleton:)
what a nice post! it starts funny and at the end it makes u think about what u wrote. u r right with ur words and it motivates me to find more time for my mum. thank u!
greets from switzerlan
Old Folks Boogie
Little Feat
Paul Barrere
Off our rockers, actin' crazy
With the right medication we won't be lazy
Doin' the old folks boogie
Down on the farm
Wheelchairs, they was locked arm in arm
Paired off pacemakers with matchin' alarms
Gives us jus' one more chance
To spin one more yarn
And you know that you're over the hill
When your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill
Doin' the old folks boogie
And boogie we will
'Cause to us the thought's as good as a thrill
Back at the home,
No time is your own,
Facillities there, they're all out on loan
The bank forclose, and your bankruptcy shows
And your credit creeps to an all-time low
So you know, that you're over the hill
When your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill
Try and get a rise from an atrophied muscle,
And the nerves in your thigh just quivers and fizzles
So you know, that you're over the hill
When your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill
And thank you so much for the nice things you say to me.
elcommandante-Thanks for coming by and I'm glad the post touched you.I don't know swiss hence couldn't comment at your blog.Anyway I do hope to see you around.
Spadoman-Wow that was some boogie song.Mind if I join you?:)You are awesome!That was a riot:)Take a big virtual hug from me!
(((Fuzzy)))
Ty for the well-wishes. Yes, she had a big day! I agree with what you say, it is very sad & hard to hear someone say they are 'ready'. I thought it was fascinating to get my grandfather talking about his youth. The world was so different. You know when he & my grandmother were adults & their parents fell ill, they moved their parents in. Now many seniors don't want to be dependant or imposition their kids...
Peace & Love to you Fuzzy.
Skinny-The grand parents tales!aren't they the sweetest.I used to love listening to my grandmother's life stories again and again without getting tired of it.It's perhaps fascinating because it was a such a different time and age.In my family all the elders have stayed at their kids places througout, from where I come from these old age homes and assisted care concept is till catching up.The ones who do go to old age homes most often are those who are discareded or abused by their kids and that's really sad.But now as you say things are certainly changing and everyone want to be independent and not burden their kids.I think its good to plan ahead,times certainly have changed.
BTW I'm glad your mom had a swell day!
Post a Comment