Everyone has some unique(to them) weird (to others) preferences when it comes to food. I have a cousin who insists on eating everything under the sun with ketchup. Pancakes,pastries,dumplings,mashed potatoes,eggs,fruits you name it she can eat it with ketchup. Pregnancy ofcourse messes up your taste buds quite unlike any other times for women.I had a friend who insisted throughout her pregnancy to eat scrambled eggs with sugar syrups (I was horrified at this combination)and chillies. I craved pickles during my pregnancy,I ate it with practically everything. I have my own strange combinations when it comes to food, I used to eat the dough made for the Indian rice pancakes( aka dosa) as a kid,my mom used to practically chase me out of the kitchen as I would sneak up and scoop some and run. I sometimes eat my french fries with chocolate syrup, I like bananas and honey on my toasts, pickles ofcourse are always welcome on anything, corn flakes or cereals with raisins on my vanilla ice cream, vinegar and garlic chili sauce on my pasta (I told you I have a weird palate)!
My grandfather loved bananas,he practically ate it with everything.He would eat mashed bananas in yogurt and rice (I found that eww) he even ate it with his tea,see you know whom to blame for my weirdly skewed up tastebuds. My hubby prefers everything with green chilies,he has one apetite for spicy stuff,give him green chillies in vinegar and hot pickles with his rice or tortillas he is happy. I'm all for green chillies with a
vada pav but not a big fan of it otherwise.(Yum,yum,what would I give to have one of them right now) .
One of my friends always dipped her chips in coke,one more likes his chips and french fries inside his sandwitches and burgers. Cookies dipped in tea,rice flakes with peanuts in their coffee,indian papadums in desserts,noodles with pickles, eggs and maple syrup,Mayo and cheese in their salads,Pizza with salad dressing,chicken with cheese, cookie dough with honey mustard, watermelon and pineapple with ketchup these are few of the ones I know about the taste queerness among people I personally know. What are your weird tasteful food combinations that you know or prefer?maybe we can add on to the list here.This daylight saving time has certainly messed up mine and Ina's routine,will think of some more and will add to this list later:)
19 comments:
i can't eat anything that has been garnished with "leaves". i have to specifically tell waiters *esp in india* that i want my food "without dhaniya". multiple times, before they heard, understood & implemented the learning.
V loves adding yogurt and chilly sauce to almost EVERYthing. and no, that's not coz i'm a bad cook.
i love sprinkling sugar on sabudana khichadi.
i have a lot of weird food combos. but this is a comment, not an entire post. so i shall wrap it up!
I have a friend who liked ( and I think he still does) curd-rice, with good home-made Indian Ghee, mixed with tomato ketchup and salt!
I'll never forget him. And that now goes for you too Fuzzy. :-p
ooo i luuuvv pickles too with anything and chutneys too!!! the first 3 months of pregnancy I exclusively ate curd rice and my mom's home-made pickles :)
there's somethign about the smell of rice flour kneaded/cooked with water and mixed with minced green chilis that makes me weak in the knees. I love, love the dough used to make vadam (rice crackers), the dough for kozhukkattai (modhak; rice dumpling), the dough for sevai (rice noodles)....the end product is good too, but my real weird craze is for the dough itself :)
My brother can eat anything with Ketchup, even icecream...yes you heard me right. I usually am very fussy about trying something totally out of the ordinary but when I was in my college back in India, behind our hostel there was a small dhaba and the guy would make nimbu paani (lemonade) and put banana cut into pieces. At first I found it weird but then it was our evening drink for next 3 years...lol. Also, he would make Maggi but would serve it with bread. At first we would be like, is he crazy or what but then saw seniors eating Maggi with bread (as that was a cheap way to fill up in a cash-crunched-hostel setting). So, there you go. Oh and I can eat pickle with anything, even plain rice :D
hey my bro also likes tomato sauce in anything.. my sis likes curd in everything. i love to eat the puri given in shaadis alongwith the pulao and chana daal - i make sure nobody sees it when I am doing that...
I used to run in the oppposite direction when i used to see or smell bananas thru out my pregnancy cos i used 2 throw up!! I had nausea thru out my pregnancy...it was horrible! :(
Other times Im not that weird cos I like to rejoice food the way it is! But Im a sweet tooth person & I also love curd.
Don't have any faves as such.. must be my taste buds :-/
I used to love the batter which my granny used to make ragi sandige's....I am pretty normal otherwise :)
masala papad with curd!
I'm going to have to get back to you on some of my own preferences (I can't think of any weird ones at the moment, though I'm sure they're twirling in the depraved recesses of my mind), but I just wanted to say that bananas and honey on toast sounds awesome! Not weird at all ... or maybe I just named one of my own weird ones too? :)
Eke...my DH is a ketchup freak too!
My favorite freaky food combo is chocolate ice cream spread on white bread. A true ice cream sandwich. Yum!Yum!
Lol, when I was preganant, I craved scrambled eggs & steak nonstop.
Oh, and bacon makes everything better!
i dont eat anything that's in white color... no white choc, no milk, no soy milk for me...
I don't know, I probably like a lot of things that don't seem strange to me, but seem strange to someone else. I always liked my mother's waffle batter. In Europe they have a chocolate spread that is used the way we use peanut butter. I love it on bread, but people in USA usually think it's strange. One time I asked for the vegetarian combo meal in an Indian (Bengali) restaurant. The lady there looked at me like I was from Mars. I'm not sure why.
Rayshma-Sugar on Sabudhana khicadi is something my hubby loves to do too,though I prefer it with yogurt.And I absolutely hate when they bring in things heaped with cilantro too,infact most of the times I end up separating them from the dish and then eating the dish.I somehow don't get the cilantro thing too.By the way how are you enjoying at Austin?
le taureau-OMG!curd rice with ghee and ketchup,that certainly is one weird combo,definitly beats my weirdness food preferences hollow:)
So does that mean you don't have any weird preferences in food?:)
I hope you are enjoying your march break.
STS-Yum yum home made pickles!they are the best,I can survive on them alone.I think curd rice and pickles are a great combo anytime. But surprisingly I was so put off the curd rice though during my pregnancy,I strangely developed liking for pickles and mexican food.My friend always teased me the baby will be born wearing a sombrero hat!
@-I am so glad I'm not the only weird one preferring the dough:)I can totally understand the weakening of the knees on the smell of the fresh grinded dough.I too love the end product as much as the raw one:)By the way is it ok for me to blogroll you?
Ricky-Another pickle fan!ketchup with icecream?wow that's really really weird,hmm..perhaps he would advocate icecream makers to bring out a special ketchup flavored icecream for people like him.Nimbu pani with bananas?Had't heard abou that at all,but to think of it perhaps that might not be too bad:)Maggi with bread was there even at our college too,perhaps this is something common amongst hosteliers.
ITW-I am also a yogurt fan,most of the times with upma and pulao I need some yogurt.And I think lot many are addicted to the ketchup and tomato sauce thing.Puri with pulao and chana daal,that sounds actually good:)
H2BM-Wow,you hated bananas during pregnancy?that was the one thing I could devour like crazy during mine.It's so weird how tastes change during that time isn't it?So you are another yogurt fan,I guess being Indians we have a natural disposition to yogurt:)Good luck with your move!Soon you can indulge in your sweet tooth at home:)
Sanjay-Really?probably we should ask A:)
Orchid-Oh,you remind me of one of my cousin who also adored the sandige batter. We used to tease her telling it is like a snot to discourage her from sneaking and eating them while they were spread out in the sun to dry.I'm sorry if that description sounded awful:)
Usha-Masala papad with curd sounds yummy!
Dan-I am glad you too love the bananas and honey on the toast,actually I don't think it's weird at all but I have had a couple of friends who raise their eyebrows whenever I state the preference,I guess one man's weirdness is another man's normal preference:)
Skinny-Icecream on white bread sounds delicious,real sandwitch icecream indeed,I should try that out:)I'm a vegetarian so I don't know about the bacon but my non veg friends swear by it,they say bacon makes anything and everything more tastier:)Pregnancy does make us crave lot many weird stuff!
Dramadiv@-I absolutely hate white chocolate too,I don't know why it just doesn't taste right for me.How about chocolate milk?I hate milk too but I'm bit more lenient towards chocolate milk:)
Anne-I think now they have chocolate spreads even here too,I have seen a lot of them in the stores,isn't Nutella also a chocolate spread?I don't think that;s weird at all.About the Bengali food,I guess they always had white people coming in seeking their fish and non veg dishes more and that's why they were surprised when you asked for a vegetarian combo.Infact even here when I go to an Indian restraurant people are surprised when I order just vegetarian thali sometimes.
You will have to try it na dlet me know what you think. Beleive it or not, the few folks that I have gotten to try it over the years, all agree... traditional ice cream sandwiches are good!
lol...lot of nice stuff to try there fuzz...this is definitely goin to be a test-d-tummy wknd....oh i like ice cream with rice and curds with omlettes....other than these...am pretty plain jane...:D...
yups.. austin was gr8! 6th street rocked, as usual... and my nieces were absolute dolls! :D) it's funny the way they idolize their ma & me! hehehe! i am SO not used to it!
Yes, Nutella is a chocolate spread. I'm happy they finally sell it here. When I was a child we waited for relatives from Europe to send it to us for holidays, or we had to make our own fake chocolate spread by mixing butter and Nestle Quik chocolate milk powder.
You're probably right about the vegetarian Indian food. Too many people eat meat. There is a tiny vegetarian Indian restaurant that is more than an hour's drive from my home, but it is my favorite place and I always try to stop there when I am in the area. I almost never see white people there. Silly white people. :D
I don't like to take my younger son to Indian restaurants because he will not eat the food, only the desserts.
Post a Comment