A photographic tale
I hate having my photos taken,especially the passport kinds which are expected to be so specific like how you grin,how little or more you grin or sometimes you don't grin at all,how the hair shouldn't fall on the shoulders,how your ears should be seen (I don't understand the concept,what has ears got to do with getting my passport or my I.D?Are they the next probable weapons in terrorism?Here,I can't see your ears,I bet you have hidden the bomb right there) how you should keep your neck straight and not tilted even little towards one side etc etc. So I went again to get the dreaded deed done as I urgently needed such painful photographs. I sat there fidgeting a bit,the solemn looking guy came with the camera and asked me "are you ready?" I thought "I am as ready as a patient about to get his teeth pulled".He then gave his instructions "You look straight ahead at the camera now and do as I say".
I sat there hoping this will be done in one take. He then said "hmm..you need to tilt your head a little to the left" so I did,next came "No,no,not that much,just a little "
ok,my head sprang back to the little tilted position he wanted. Next "Oh,no no this time it is tilted a little more to the right,not so much". Damn my neck,I wish it came with screws so I could just tilt it to whatever position he wanted and fixed it right there. I just grit my teeth and complied . He said "Keep it that way only" I felt like retorting "Just wait, let me hand it over right to you so you can tilt in anyway you want" . Next second "No,no,you can't smile,this particular one requires you to have a serious look,no smiles not even a slight grin" hmm.would a murderous look do?that I think is pretty
serious!anyway so wiped out the grin and kept the serious look. You know it's somehow uncanny that just when people ask you to have a serious look on your face you just can't do it. Anyway somehow reminded myself of the laundry I had to do and that got back that serious (read as bored)look on my face,I heard a click and finally thought this is it,I'm done. But no.He said"Oh,no,there's one strand of hair near your forehead and one on the shoulder,we have to do it again"
WTH?couldn't he have seen it that time itself,I thought cameras had the thing called lenses which enlarge the view. So it began again after I tried to keep my unruly frizzy hair in control. But now flow was interrupted so it was time to do it all again "No,not to the left,little more to the right,no,not that serious look,you blinked!look straight,did you just roll your eyes?lift the chin up a little,oh,not that much,now if you would just not be so serious,lower the shoulders a little more,now we have it,no,again there's that little bit of hair,yes just hold that,here we go at last" and then all I could sense was a bright flash of light on my tired neck and face and FINALLY we had a photo which fit the specifications,Hallellujah!
I went home after getting myself a Tylenol and a cup of my Starbuck's white hot chocolate (I need some heavy duty calories when I am in distress) and the photo don't ask,it looks as if I am an escaped convict. The only thing that's missing is that name board and a lateral view of the same. Stupid specifications!why can't people be smiling?why can't they just look normal and not like some pissed off robots?Honestly if there was something I could change in this world I would ban such photographs,let people submit their funniest and most pleasant photo, so even if I get pulled over by the cop or the customs or the immigration officers anywhere atlaeast the photo will convey how sweet a person I am!
And there is second set of photos I don't like. When you attend wedding especially if you happen
to be the bride and groom. This is another extreme where you are expected to do nothing but grin,grin,grin till your facial muscles reach their point of exhaustion.Then there are those sessions again with the same "look up,look down,turn to the side,keep the hands this way,keep the legs this way,smile,look thoughtful,look into each other's eyes,hold the hands blah blah" it's a pain. More so if you are an Indian traditional hindu bride!there are the henna photos, bangle photos,the hair photos,the jewellery photos,the reception photos,
the ceremony photos,there's simply no end. It was during that time I felt a deep sympathy for the celebrities who are constantly in the limelight,the pressure ought to be enormous!No wonder they go and cut off their hair and go bald.
The third hated category are people with new cameras,its like a new high,they go berserk taking photos. It's as if everyone immediately becomes the official National geographic or fashion magazine photographers. They sit,stand,sleep,contort every possible muscle in the body to get that coveted photograph,if you are unfortunately the subject of their photograph god help you.They will make you pose near trees,flowers,waterfalls,monuments,the commands are always the same "little bit to the left,little to the right,look up ,turn little to the side,hold that flower near the face " there is nothing which makes me feel more stupid than posing holding flowers or something near to my face. Most of the times I end up scowling
at such enthusiastic photographers and that itself says that I am no photographer's delight . Added to the set of enthusiastic photographers are the brand new parents,the poor baby gets assaulted left,right and centre bombarded with camera and camcorders from the time it wakes up till it goes down to sleep,there are photos when it poops,when it pees,smiles,cries,burps and coos. Actually I am guilty as charged too in this category,not so much as everyday and every waking moment but we do have a sizeable album and collection of Ina's photos as well,atleast until her absolutely smitten parents come to their senses or she can learn to put her feet down and refuse:)
But all said and done photographs are really wonderful way of capturing the moment but they ought not be imposed,I like the ones taken when people are
at ease and doing what they love doing just in that rush of the moment. And there's
certainly something about sitting on a rainy day at home sipping a cup of tea and reminiscing old moments looking at photographs together. But I still hold the same feelings towards the photos which are hazardous to my temper and my neck. For such photos I wish I could decapitate my head for a moment and place it so they could take it any angle they wish,afterall its just a head shot isn't it?well,that sounded pretty gruesome,I knew I shouldn't have watched that horror movie I saw last night:)Now you can throw eggs at me as I say "say cheese"!





17 comments:
I think that passport picture takers purposefully make people look like escape convicts to give their buddies the customs agents a good laugh. They're in this together. It's a big conspiracy.
lol fuzz...so true..u oughtta be a shrink..(the nice kind...:)...)
and am glad am not THE only one who looks like a convict in a passport photo..n yep...agree with drky dad..it is a conspiracy!
lol!!
Some of the images you have used are damn funny. Try another photographer.
Fuzzy I am one of those people who love to take pictures.My family hates me for this and "J" says he wishes I would lose my camera.But when anyone needs a picture they come running to me."Mom " do you have a picture of this or that or some one.I think the passprt pics and the Driver licence ones are the worst.
Funny post. I think the ear is probaby one of the markers used in face recognition software? Just a guess not sure if it is true.
hehehe. But you have company _ I hate to be photographed too - and always look like someone is pointing a gun at me asking me to pose for the photo. What an ordeal?
(and have you seen Russell Peters on passport photos!)
i hate getting my pic clicked. ANYwhere and ANY time! hehe... i must've been one of d rare brides who told the photographer, "i aint gonna pose. click however u want to. that's y u're here. coz i HATE photos" he did make V pose tho! lol!
but yes, i LOVE taking pics! :))
The last time I got myself some passport pics, was when I was in Germany. And its a lot harder when the photographer just doesn't speak enough english. There were all such subtle suggestions..
"Can you up. Face?"
"Laugh"
"Back straight. Ok. High."
If I didn't have had an idea I was in a photo studio, I could've as well believed I was getting an X-ra y done.
I love having my photos taken,but not the passport kinds tho... I am a photo whore, camera whore, what else.... :P
i remember in one foto for visa i had my eyes semi closed. & i had to fly the next night. i literally did a dharna to get a second round done and had my eyeballs popping out in the next foto for the benefit of the authorities. also thanks for the mention on women's day post. just read it
i hate, detest, loathe having my pictures taken and my parents claim i've been this way since i was a baby :) consequently there aren't too many pictures of me!! i also think that passport pics are taken to make everyone look like terrorists...just so the authorities will have something to do in their otherwise uneventful day!
:) But I am a big photo person....i tend to overdo it with the camera when i am on vacations, so much so i focus more on the pictures than on enjoying the place...but I have my reasons, I mean all that I can take away form that place are really pictures and now I am doing the same with A...taking pictures so I have something to do when I grow old....now getting back to your post, I bought that software so I can do my own passport pictures...atleast I won't have to pose hideously infront of someone else :)
and yes, i have seen some albums of my friends who got recently married and what outrageous albums too..i mean they photoshop it and make the bride and groom look like they were some maharajah/rani duo...entertaining indeed!
oops another long comment
LOL to some of the funny photos you have included.
Oy I agree about the bridal shots in India.
I hate it when people take my photo too. And my husband recently fell in love with a Poloroid camera. So I will be sitting in one of the most unattractive positions known to humankind and poof! photo. It is sadistic.
I like your idea. Nice people should look nice on their passports. Only evil people should look evil in their photos, so it's easy to catch the terrorists. Haha! :p
I am definitely a new camera type. I also have this dutty habit of practically inhaling nice photos of myself.
Dorky dad-Trust you to unearth and hidden conspiracy!I agree a great coverup indeed.
Plush-Glad to have company too:)I have given up all hope now that I would ever have a normal looking pleasant passport photo.
Arunima-Thanks.Regarding another photographer I doubt it,I have seen so many of them and all are the same.Perhaps it's just maybe that I am not too photogenic itself:(
Starry-Wow you sound so much like my hubby who is running around always with the camera.But I'm sure your kids appreciate all the lovely ones you take for them. Perhaps you can take one for me for my licence sometime:)
Sanjay-Oh!perhaps it is,thanks for sharing that info.Now perhaps I will be more kind to the photographer when he insists on the ears:)
Usha-welcome to the club:)I haven't seen that particular show of Russel peters,I will check it out on youtube and see.He certainly would have interesting things to say :)
Rayshma-You go girl!you were perhaps like my SIL who point blankly refused to yield to the photographers during the wedding,I wish I had put my foot down too instead of going through the whole thing,but the pics were worth the pain,I can boast about those :)Raysh,you should put up some of the pics you have taken on the blog,would love to see them!
letaureau-LOL,I can't imagine what I would have done if I had to get photo taken in a land where no one understood my language:)You are right it does sound like he was taking a X ray!
Dramadiv@-There you go!one more photolover,but your photos do come out pretty well div@,you don't have to perhaps even worry about the passport ones:)
ITW-I had similar experience too,and I bet the eye popping pic was a keeper:)I don't know why even though they are bad I end up keeping them with me so I can laugh at them later.
Noodlehead-Ah,welcome to the club comrade:)we have quite a group now:)
Orchi-You always have something interesting to say:)pray tell me about the passport software,I would love to have that,will save me so much of neck pain and trouble:)and yes nowadays wedding albums are so entertaining,they have weird drop outs behind and the bride and groom are made to look so stupid at times to make it all look authentic,I always manage to annoy some newly weds when they have shown me their modified wedding albums:)I remember one particular one where they were given wings and were shown flying in the sky or something,I swear I tried not to laugh but couldn't!
Sai-Thanks,they made me also smile:)Oh the extensive bridal shots in India,I am glad I didn't have to undergo too much of it!
EOTR-I know it can be pain with enthusaistic photographers in the family especially the husbands bitten by the camera bug:)But your pics are awesome!you look good in every single one of them!
Anne-LOL,thanks,but if only they would implement it:)
IZ-you are another photogenic person,so inhale as many as you can:)
Post a Comment